Thursday, June 18, 2015

Free Help –Digging worms for pay





If the readers of this column remember from a previous article, Al was determined to get his Kubota tractor and I was determined to have my own garage. As you read this article the garage is being built, My Sweet Al is driving his Kubota around the property and the old blue truck is still in the yard. Some people can’t be budged like some of those big rocks.

While building on this garage, I’ve jumped through a lot of hoops and over a lot of hurdles. I’ve uncovered things I didn’t know about, which held up the process. I made people mad, and I’ve had to take the high road on a few things. I’m still pushing toward having a garage and a nice yard.

The garage is under construction and now I’ve shifted to yard work. I need Al’s Kubota. I’ve got big plans for him and his tractor, and he has big plans for my garage. I said at the beginning, my garage is my garage.

Al has plans for a workbench and other things in my garage. I told him his old vehicles would not be allowed to drip oil on my concrete floor. And none of his junk will be in my garage. These are empty threats, and he knows it. Talk as big as I want, reality sets in. The garage will be what it needs to be.

My Sweet Al and I work in the yard between rains. I’m terracing big rocks down to our pond and he’s on his Kubota moving dirt. He and his tractor do the work of ten men. He feels the power of the tractor under him, and I feel the weight of the rocks. I instruct him to back up and move the big rocks for me. He backs up while looking forward. I dodge the swinging backhoe and yell, “Stop. You caught my sweater in the backhoe.”

He didn’t hear me over the roaring motor and he drags my sweater around the yard. Thank God, I wasn’t in my sweater.  He took off one of the porches on my cabin. Thank God, I wasn’t under the porch. Those rocks don’t move easily, but I have learned to move quickly.

Men love the roar of motors. I don’t know what it is? I think it gives them a sense of playing in the dirt with cars. You’ve seen how little boys run their miniature cars up and down the sofa arm and make loud noises. That’s the picture I get while Al runs up and down the pond bank and I stay out of his way. I need his tractor, and I have no intentions to learn how to drive it. So I make the most of it, and give him a margin for error.

I told him it was time to get off the tractor and help me put down landscape fabric. I picked up the fabric and said, “No, don’t do it that way.”
He yelled back, “Hold the corner. You are folding it the wrong way. You’re so left handed.”
I told him, “I know how to fold material. Hold the fabric like this.”

Our youngest daughter came over to sunbathe. Al dropped the fabric and said, “I’m taking off for a couple of hours and sunbathe with Angel.”

Not the thing to say. I gave Al a look. He knows the look. “No, Al. I’m here to work, if you must sun, take off your shirt and get a tan while you work.”

He said, “We’re losing sun.”

I said, “Oh really? It’s10 o’clock in the morning. You can sun this afternoon. I need you and your tractor now.”

It’s free help when you can get it and sometimes I wrangle the family into helping. I enticed our daughter by telling her I would save her the worms. She loves to fish with her Dad.

I made sure to show her the worms and I counted them as I shoveled up dirt. It kept her mind focused on the work. I got a couple extra hours worth of work from Al.  He got sunburned on his back, and he’s red as a beet. Our daughter got her worms and they made plans to go fishing. I got a lovely terrace by the pond. All is well.

Next project my art cabins. They need repaired and painted. With one porch torn off by the tractor, I need Al’s help. For Mother’s Day I ordered myself a motorized Zoom Paint Gun for My Sweet Al to paint my cabins. I let him look at it in the box. He thinks it will be fun. I’ll let him think that, but I’ve got my eye on thirty shutters on the cabin windows and five doors. It’s a big job, hopefully I can stay out of the way and not wear the paint.

Whether we’re building a marriage, a garage or painting cabins, we still talk. We might trade worms for work, or sun for backbreaking rock moving, but the work gets done. I let My Sweet Al think he gets to park his Kubota in my new garage.


Final Brushstroke! Al and I have learned to work together. He knows I can talk as big as I want, but he’ll have his stuff in my garage by the end of the day. What is mine is his, and what is his is mine when it’s all said and done. It’s learning how to move the rocks and deal with the hard places.

No comments:

Post a Comment