Thursday, September 24, 2015

Busted! Ahh Boom, Boom, Boom, Ahh Bang, Bang, Bang!



It’s that season again. It’s Football Time. The boys of fall are back at it. We’re back on the road with family, football, friends and junk food. Can’t get much better than that.

We left on Friday to watch the Pagosa Springs High School Football Team play their first game of the season. They are looking really good. I commend them, they held their own at Centauri. The cheerleaders are awesome this year. They have learned new cheers, new moves, and new pyramids. They yelled their hearts out and tried to get the fans on board.  Much kudos to the teams of Pagosa High.

After the game we headed for another football game at CSU Pueblo, The fans are all in Red, and full of energy. I can feel the rumble of the Thunder.... The music blared, “You knocked me out right off my feet. Ahh Boom, Boom, Boom, Ahh Bang, Bang, Bang!” I’m not sure what all that boom, boom means, but the tune is pretty catchy and I’m still playing that song over and over and over in my head.

We sat with the families of the players. It was if the season never ended. We were back!  I recognized a familiar mother’s voice behind me. “Baby, sac me a quarterback. Baby, don’t let them hurt you.”  A deep Booming Voice, "We want a touchdown, Yes we do!" I waved to Marsha across the parents’ heads. I had met her last year mid dance. She’s a 2nd grade teacher in a School up north. She also never misses a game.

My daughter said, “I would have loved to have her as a teacher when I was in Elementary, Look at her Energy and Rhythm." The natural redhead with the big smile dances the victory dance after each touchdown. She was weighed down with carnival beads, but flying high in CSU Spirit.   Every player on the field and every fan in the stadium is her best friend.

Well, Marsha had nothing on me. I was decked out with my Blue and Red beads, too. I had traded my Pirates black and gold shirt from the night before to my CSU red with a thunder wolf plastered on the front, a mega phone and a wolf tattoo on my cheek. You’ll do anything for your grandchildren.

Before the game, we had some time to spare. The family needed more football memorabilia. Like a hole in their head they needed more, but they thought they did. I guess you can’t get enough of the team’s colors. "It’s the Red Out!" We went to the CSU Spirit Store. I had plenty of spirit so I decided to wait in the car. I needed to study my Greek, so it was a good excuse to get some quiet time.

I was finally alone. Believe me, when I say we travel as a family, we eat together, ride together and stay together. We wouldn’t have it any other way. We’re afraid we might miss something if we stray from the pack.

My family warned me what I can’t put in the newspaper. They joke, “What happens in Pueblo, stays in Pueblo.”  I’ve already forgotten what they warned me about, so I’m free to use my artistic license. Oh, well, my family has held my feet to the fire before.
  
I know ouchy, ouchy, ouchy. 

Now my head is on fire. The pistons in my brain were smoking. After waiting in a hot car and studying Greek for two hours, I needed some protein. I was really getting hungry. I looked around the car. Our youngest daughter had a Moon-Over-Miami sandwich from breakfast.

It was a half eaten, egg, ham and cheese sandwich. I nibbled a few bites. It was really good. I took a few more bites. I tried the hash browns. They were greasy, didn’t want them. I scooted the hash browns around to look like there was more food than before. I spread out the bread to make it look like no one ate it.

I was thirsty. I looked for some water. Surely, some one left their water bottle in the car. I found a blue one in the console. I took a big gulp and another one. I sat the bottle back in the same spot and turned the handle just right. Of course, now I wanted a little something sweet. I found a can of cashews in a travel bag. I took a fistful, then another fistful and pushed the can deep down into the bag. The nuts made me thirsty. I drank some more water from a pink water bottle this time.

It became funny, then funnier to me. I felt like a kid in the cookie jar. I couldn’t help myself. Al came out to the car and asked me what I was giggling about.

I told him I’d been eating the kids’ food, but I didn’t think they’d notice. I had moved everything around so it looked like nothing had been touched.

He said, “They’ll notice, because you have a greasy ring around your mouth. I can’t believe you’d do that. You’ve never done anything like that before.”

“Busted. Ahh Boom, Boom, Boom, Ahh Bang, Bang, Bang.” I sheepishly pouted. “I was so hungry and they were taking so long. I needed protein to supply my head because I’ve been doing a lot of thinking.”

The family jumped back into the car with bags of more red and blue. They were happy with their purchases. It was 2 pm and now they were hungry.

“Where do you want to eat? Let’s go to Black Eyed Pea.”

I was full. So I said, “Oh, I’m not very hungry. Why are we going to Black Eyed Pea before the game? That’s my favorite place to eat in Pueblo, I didn't think we'd have time. If you insist, maybe I could eat a little.”

“The problem is, your mother ate all your food.” My Sweet Al ratted me out.

I played dumb. That's the best way.

“Mother? How could you do that you knew we'd want to get lunch!”

After the Black Eyed Pea meal, they all carried their leftover-boxes to the car. On the top of one Styrofoam box was written in a bold black marker, “Betty, Don’t eat this. Try to keep yourself in control.” Signed, A big happy face.


Final Brushstroke! After the weekend was over, we drove home and watched the CSU Game on television. It was better the second time around. Ahh, Boom, Boom, Boom. I can’t get that song out of my head. It’s football season and the fun has just begun. I’m back on my diet until next weekend. All this fun shows up on the lips and hips.

No comments:

Post a Comment