Thursday, November 19, 2015

Ripping off the Mask


I said to my Sweet Al, “I just finished writing an article for this week’s deadline. I’m sharing some of the comments I received about the mask and Bass Reeves who allegedly wrote The Lone Ranger.”

“Is it funny?”

“No.”

“Then, they’re not going to like it.”

His comment struck a chord with me. I hadn’t thought about it before, but writing with humor is like wearing a mask. It’s a way of saying it, laughing at it, and moving on. Everyone relates. They have the same problem. They feel comfortable someone else is saying it. And they’re not.

I’m of the nature, if there’s a problem, get to the core of it, deal with it and move on. I asked Al “Do people really want to hear the truth.”

“No. People don’t want to hear the truth. They don’t want their true identity exposed. I don’t blame them.”

For Bass Reeves, a black man and a writer in the 1800’s, he didn’t fit the profile.

I sent the article to our son and told him I wrote this article about him and Bass Reeves. Our son wrote back and I read it to Al.

Sweet Al pondered on it, then asked, “What does he mean?”

“I’m not sure. I think he’s learned to live with a mask and it’s not ours to remove. It’s his process.”

Our son’s comment was, “Sometimes those things that seem ill-tempered or unnecessary in others are the steps a person has to take. It’s how they must carry themselves through those steps, in order to manage what they are going through. It could be a form of preparedness. Let the moody be moody and the hard to read left unknown. It may be their security blanket or a tool to find their own way.

There are some who are in a never-ending last leg of a chariot race tied for 1st. There are those who have not know a specific struggle, walked in a certain shadow or failed failure. This is where we are supposed to sit back, smile and appreciate how we were knitted together.  Your article was profoundly interesting. Dare I say, it was so spot on in validating my fears and insecurities. This mask is now painted on.”

When I read those last few words, “This mask is now painted on.” I was speechless. I wanted to help this child rip off the mask. That’s my nature, but I think what he was saying to me was,  “Let the moody be moody and the hard to read left unknown.”

A comment from another reader states, “Wow Betty! The article about the mask is probably one of your most powerful articles yet. The underlying story is one we all can relate to. How many of us have hurting family members who hide behind masks? It is not so they can do great things in anonymity. They are afraid of failure or rejection. Some hurts are so deep the masks may never come off. Friends and family must accept them as they are, masks and all. Someday through the grace and mercy of God the masks will come off. If not, we will love unconditionally.” 

 J.D wrote, “People have more than one mask. They wear professional or work masks, social masks and family masks. Sometimes the family masks are the scariest because they are the ugliest.  At some point we have all hidden behind masks. The older we get the more confident we become in who we are in Christ. I use to say will the real person please step forward.“

Our stories are not finished yet. One day we will understand why we think we all must wear a mask. We all go through the same discovery process. Some hide it better than others.  This mask we wear can’t be peeled off like paint, and it’s too painful to rip off.

Final Brushstroke!  I must keep my Sweet Al happy, put a smile on his face and write with the mask of humor. Maybe I’m a Ghost Writer hiding behind humor. It sure helps keep everything in perspective here on the Blanco, makes life easier and allows me to write articles about My Sweet Al.


No comments:

Post a Comment