Wednesday, August 4, 2010

You can’t do it wrong!

Artist’s Quote: “Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.” Simonides

At a community function a former student reminded me of something I said in an art class years ago. She had not forgotten it and she reminded me, “You can’t do it wrong, there is no right or wrong in art.” That statement had given her the freedom to express and had freed her up.



My response was, “Did I say that?” Interesting enough, I needed to hear it myself. Sometimes my own words hit me in the face. Especially this day when all the artists were trying to paint something that would represent the beauty around. Four hundred people came by, glanced at the work in a way as to apologize for intruding into a private moment.



By the time I got the painting drawn and began to paint, I looked up and the clouds had shifted and the shadows moved across the mountain. I felt like I was chasing the shadows just as surely as some of the artists were chasing their watercolor paper in the field. Myself I continued to drag my white jacket cuff into the paint, just silly little things that makes plein air painting what it is. Some of the artist did well, others chalked it up to a good try, but this day was not about that. It was about enjoying a beautiful master piece created by God and expressed by those who cared.



It was about the people who cared to stop by and ask things about us and our work. It was also a time when all the artists worked together as one. Everyone was so gracious as to lend a hammer, nails and wire, umbrellas and chairs.We listened to each other’s concerns about things that could affect all of us as artists.



Every artist was looking at the same subject, but each one had a different understanding of what they were seeing. Some painted the little red barn in front of the mountains, the old log cabin or the cattle, the flowers and fence in the foreground.



For me, I wanted to paint the artists. I found them all so different like Norman Rockwell characters. One artist sat at his easel, another stood with her western hat and bag draped on a nail, another slouched down in the chair with a notebook and pencil. One supported a big floppy hat, another looked like Indiana Jones. A collection of the most diverse artists and work you would lay your eyes on, but they were one in spirit. It felt good to be named as one in their midst.



The destination was a generous endeavor by the people of Pagosa. The day was well organized and designed, from serving delicious gourmet food, orchestrating the music, directing the traffic and entertaining with music. Large and small white tents were provided for shade and comfort.



Then there was us, the artists. a splash of color here and a dash of paint there, the mountains rose up to kiss heaven and the artists gazed at every detail capturing the most magnificent beauty that surrounded the El Rancho Pinoso. Months of preparation before made the beauty of the day seem effortless. All these little moments gave way for the freedom of expression and where the art of enjoyment flourished.



Final Brushtroke! Don’t worry about getting it right, live in the moment and stay free to express what the day gives to you.



Reader’s Comments: This column is for artists to voice their heart. Write bettyslade@centurytel.net. One concern is track lighting for the library for the artist’s work to show effectively. If anyone knows of any track lighting that could be used, please e-mail me and I will forward it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment