Friday, December 31, 2010

At Everyone's Mercy


Periodically our son comes home from the Philippines, and when he does, it seems I always need help with my computer. He spends 24/7 on the computer and he knows what I need to know. The trouble is, he is always wound up like an eight day clock; he is tired, worn out from a twenty-two hour flight and he needs rest. But he always shows me respect and works on my computer. One time when he left, I found floating across my screen, in big white letters, “It is a dangerous thing when you buy your mother a computer”.

Since I didn’t know how to change it, those words floated across my screen for years until our grandsons stayed with us, then the screen saver was changed to football memorabilia and football links such as Tebow Zone and football scores.

I looked at football heroes on my screen saver for a couple of years until our oldest daughter came from Grass Valley, California. She hooked up my computer to DSL and changed the screen to a nice serene landscape. Another daughter set me up paying bills online. I’ve been taking baby steps for years where the computer is concerned and I am always at the mercy of my children and grandchildren.

When my friends came to Pagosa this last summer, they insisted I categorize my art on the computer and become more visible and develop a reader’s base. Setting on my book shelf are several books I have written. No one knows to read them, and I don’t know what to do with them. Preserving a record of my art and writings was the next step, even if I wanted to kick and scream, I said okay, I’d learn how to do it. Thus my journey began with another first step, the BLOG!

I now have 8 Blogs, I daily enter a piece of my floral art on my Blog with a mini-art lesson and send it to my Face book friends. I also show my landscape art with poetry and have now begun a spiritual journey with teachings from the Song of Solomon. So I am on my way!

Recently I received an e-mail from someone who had read my art profile and was interested in my art and wanted to get to know me. She said she also did art and wanted me to see it. I glossed over the sentence in her e-mail which said, “And I am a nice girl” and signed her name, Candy. I thought the sentence was a little strange and out of the ordinary. It was a good thing she was a nice girl, but I was more excited she was a potential artist. I was anxious to see her art. So I sent an e-mail back encouraging her to stick with it and send me pictures of the things she was doing.

We exchanged a few more e-mails and I continued to give her encouragement in her art. Then I received another e-mail again confirming she was a nice girl and did I want to see her art. She did delicious things.

Lo and behold, knock me over with a feather, I got it!

Things have changed. Didn’t they use to stand on street corners in Go Go boots and hot pants? This computer world is new to me and I have no idea what I am doing. Is it any wonder my son leaves a message on my computer, “It is a dangerous thing when you buy your mother a computer?”

I am finding I am at everyone’s mercy. I use to say, “I wasn’t born yesterday” until I read in Job where Job’s friend, Bildad came to him in the father’s traditions and said, “You were born yesterday, learn from the fathers”.

The things I am learning today, I didn’t learn from our fathers, I am learning from our children. Amazing what we are learning. At two years old, my grandson Creede was showing me how to put a disc in the “Putter” as he called it. He is now fourteen, and like every other child, is a whiz at all of this technology.

I am still asking for mercy when caring souls come along to show me a few more tips on the computer. My children tell me all the time, “Mother, you should take a computer class.” I always tell them, “I am too busy.”

I am now dealing with Youtube and promo tapes for art lessons. I asked another grandson who is doing skate videos to show me how to do overlays with credits and music. He gave me a few tips, but not enough. So I continue to wait for the next kind soul who will show me a little mercy.

As I wait, Candy is still out there waiting for my response. Sorry, Candy, I’m not into your kind of “Art”.


The Final Brushstroke! Yes, we were born yesterday but there is nothing new under the sun, it is just packaged differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment