Sunday, May 10, 2015

Memories of Home through a child’s eyes




 



Our little town of Pagosa Springs carries a picture postcard ideal about itself. Everyone sees it through their own eyes and perception.
From my eyes, Pagosa is that little mountain town, tucked away at the base of Wolf Creek, where wild turkeys come into the yard, deer cross the highway and elk come down from the high country.
It’s not an Aspen, Steamboat, Vail or even a Durango. Pagosa doesn’t have the presence of rich and famous people. Maybe it does, but we don’t know about them. It’s not a college town, an industrial center, and it doesn’t have a big city attitude.
It’s not pretentious with great importance and doesn’t claim false ambition. People of every career come here. We’re all different but we all live amicably and have respect each other.
Most of us drive dirty trucks, bent fenders from hitting a deer or two, and carry a water tank in our truck bed. The work-truck doubles for the family car.
Most every one owns at least one dog, which rides in the bed of the truck or in the front seat, and goes to work with its master every day.  Many Pagosa stores welcome their dogs into their businesses. The cashiers know the owner’s name and the dog’s’ name. They even give the dog treats.
Good kids, with moral compasses, are being raised here. Parents put their lives on hold to attend and support their kids’ sports. The parents live all school year at the high school and junior high invested and involved in their children. Pagosa has raised up some State champions in sports among our children.
Pagosa is not just about mountains, pines and aspens trees, it’s about good people, families, family values and hometown. Everyone who lives here is related to someone, and everyone knows everyone.
Every time we watch the news from Denver or Albuquerque, My Sweet Al and I say, “We’re so thankful we live here in Pagosa. The world is going crazy out there.  It’s mind boggling to what people are doing today, we feel safe here.” So, from our eyes, that’s how we see Pagosa.
From a child’s eyes, who has moved away and is homesick, he sees the same town but pictures it differently.
Our son has lived in the Philippines for the past ten years. He comes home once  or twice a year.  I read a posting from his Facebook to his friends describing  Pagosa.
He was traveling between the Philippines and Pagosa at the time. When I read it, I said, “If that’s the way home looks like, I want to live there.”
He writes:
Albuquerque, I was impressed with you, but tomorrow I get to go home.
There is something to be said for touching the soil of home base, climbing my favorite waterfall or just walking the river.
There will be muddy dogs on the porch and deer in the field. Breakfast will be cooked on that caked-on blackened griddle with a flavor to savor.
If I'm lucky, my mom will bake the only thing she doesn't burn and I will lick cream cheese frosting from my lips as my dad asks, "So how have you been son, I want to hear everything".
I will drive to town in a car that rattles, and cruise the only stop light 3 or 4 times. I'll admire the window of Goodman's and want to buy it all, and then remember I've never worn a Stetson, and would look silly in Paddington.
I will settle on a 32 oz grape slush from Sonic, then drive to Pagosa Lake and park on the back bend. I'll remember fishing trips to catch trout, and only catching bass and perch.
I will have flashbacks of "Stand By Me" moments and think about Ronnie and Kelly, Rex and Jeremy, and wonder what the heck ever happened to David. "That one".
There will be a smell of oak in the air from the fireplace and a cloud of dust from a passing truck. I will sleep under a coyote skin blanket and drift to sleep under a sky of a million stars.
Being an adult child can be so odd. The familiar has changed, gone away or simply just doesn't fit. But I will always be a country boy at heart and know when I'm home.
Final Brushstroke! Pagosa provides those special memories for our children. It might not be perfect, but it’s perfect for us. I’m sure you will all agree with me, Pagosa holds our heart captive no matter how many times we leave. She is always there waiting for us to come home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment