Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Heiress from the thrown has spoken!



I sat at my computer in shock as I looked at the picture posted by my grandson in California. The words under the picture said,  “My first tattoo went well.”

Facebook is our connection with our grandchildren’s world and with our son in the Philippines. I only know what they’re doing through Facebook.

I called My Sweet Al to the computer, “Come look at this.”

He bent down and looked, “Oh, my God, it’s permanent. It’s so big.”

“I know, it’s ugly, too. I wonder what it stands for.” I couldn’t let it go. “What’s with these kids writing all over themselves? When the kids were in the first grade, they wrote on their hands with magic markers. We scolded them and washed the marks off with Ajax. You can scrub all day, these tattoos aren’t coming off.”

I’m sure the tattoo artists don’t care what you wear on your arms, legs and body. It’s a job, a creative job at that. I should be into “Ink.” I understand in the Big House, the favorite pastime for inmates is tattooing. When they’re talking “Ink,” they’re not talking ballpoint pens.

I shot back a response on Facebook to our grandson.  “I hope it will be your first and last.”

Then our son, living in the Philippines, got into the action. He posted, “You know Spencer, Grandma Slade said she would disown me if I ever came home with a tattoo. My how things have changed. So as your proud uncle, I recommend you get about 10 more just to see grandma's reaction. She's fun when she goes crazy.

Our Grandson in Ft. Collins posted, “Hahahaha that's funny Uncle Stephen, miss you guys that's awesome.”

I wasn’t going to let this die. I posted another comment on Facebook, “I didn't like it when Creede got a tattoo, with a Bible verse no less. He said he had to do it, the verse meant so much to him. Then there is a rumor that Slade has three tattoos and I’m horrified what they are. Now you have this “Calling All Skaters” tattoo. My three grandsons stop it. Stop it, now. One day you're going to hate them. Yes, I'm fired up.”

Our son shot off a response, “The heiress to the thrown has spoken (nephews, do it again just for fun)

Our grandson in Ft. Collins posted, “I love you Grandma.”

Our grandson in Pueblo fired back a response, “That’s three grandchildren out of four. Tiffany, you need a tattoo. Laughing out loud. In class right now, sorry gramma.

One of our grandson’s called his mother, “I’ve got a surprise.”

She responded, “I hope it’s not a puppy or a tattoo.”

“No, Mom, it’s a new Jeep.”

I talked to our daughter whose son got the tattoo and announced it on Facebook. She said, “The deed is done. I wanted to post for the world to see that my silence doesn’t mean I like it. I’m just sick about it.”

She brought up a couple of good points. She said, “Maybe it’s conviction or preference. Older people are opposed to tattoos because of what it meant in their day. To them it meant “Trashy.” Our grandchildren are in their day and it means they have a right and it’s their preference. To them it means, “No big deal.”

Our daughter begged and begged her son not to do it. She told him, one day in your career you might be working with older people and you might miss a business opportunity, a job or whatever, because of their convictions against tattoos.

Everybody is doing it. A friend who is my age got a tattoo recently. Her grandson, no less, talked her into it.  I couldn’t believe it. You know how much cellulite a woman my age has?  I told my Sweet Al, “Don’t even think of getting a tattoo. If you do, you need to get a tattoo with your address so you know how to get home.”

Our grown children came by the house. It was all talk about Spencer’s tattoo. Allison said she wanted to post something on Facebook, but thought different. I told her maybe that was a good choice. I probably shouldn’t have posted either.

My Sweet Al said, “It’s painful. You shouldn’t write about it. Everyone will know about it.”
I responded, “It’s on Facebook, the world already knows about it.

Final Brushstroke! From the heiress to the thrown! I’m sitting at my throne typing this article and wondering if maybe keeping my mouth shut is the way to go. My son and grandkids are having a heyday with my reaction. They’ll probably have a few more tattoos just to see me go crazy. Apparently, “I’m fun when I go crazy.”


No comments:

Post a Comment