Sunday, February 15, 2015

Inflated Egos & Deflated Balls



When I met my friend for lunch, she wanted to talk about a book she was reading. She said, “Before the 1900s people valued and looked up to people of character. Since then the industrial age came in, and now people look up and applaud those of personality.”

I said, I see that, look what is happening in the sports and the “pretty people of Hollywood.” They have big personalities, pretty faces, clout, power, and money, and we look to them as people of creditability.”

Those who are in high places and big jobs seem to do it all right. It’s not necessarily so. Give them enough time and opportunity, their real selves will be fleshed out—their character will be found out.

My friend is a dyed-in-the-wool Bronco fan. Deflated balls and inflated egos were on her mind that day. I was treading lightly on the subject because I knew how she felt about her team. She said, it wasn’t right what Elway did to Fox. Elway played Manning hurt and Fox didn’t lose that game. Fox took them to several play-off games.

I told her, we don’t know what went on behind closed doors. Maybe it was decided before the game. Elway already had a new coach in the wings. Fox has been hired and has a new team. I guess, it’s all been forgiven and forgotten.

I’m sitting in the middle of Bronco Country and I know just enough to be dangerous. I’ll probably get heat on this one. I resisted the urge to retort but told her anyway. “I saw a flaw in Elway several years ago. I believe it played itself out again.”

Maybe the flaw is all about winning the Super Bowl Trophy, no matter the cost or who gets in the way. He wants it, it’s not about people, it’s about who can get him to the Super Bowl. And the fans expect him to do it. I guess that’s the world of football.

I told her I followed the Ravens to the 2012 Super Bowl Win. They are a faith team and have coaches and players of character. They’ve made the playoffs ten times since 2000, with two Super Bowl wins. After that game and every other game, they pray together and give God the glory.

That year at the Super Bowl, I couldn’t take my eyes off of a 37-year-old Christian middle linebacker, by the name of Ray Lewis. He glorified God after his big win. He pulled off his jersey to reveal a sleeveless black shirt that read "Psalms 91.”

He played his entire career with the Ravens, and then announced that he would retire because God was calling him. Throughout his career, Lewis built a reputation as a leader and intimidating force and gained a reputation as a complete defender.

My son-in-law reminded me that Lewis had allegedly killed a man. After the murder allegations, Lewis's image was recovered in the minds of some. There still remains a blemish on the minds of some about him.

I saw Ray Lewis as a man of faith and character. He’s been forgiven. He knows who gets the glory. For me, that’s what this game of life is all about.

Final Brushstroke! This week, allegations about deflated footballs, inflated egos and a Super Bowl Trophy are on everyone’s mind. For some, it’s all about the win. In time, their character will be revealed, for good or bad. It depends on what everyone is looking for.







No comments:

Post a Comment